Friday, October 3, 2008

Short reviews and interviews Part 2: Mike Imboden

First I wanted to say sorry for not updating my blog, it has been a crazy month. But now i'm back with part two of short interviews, so here it is.

Fist of Justice looks so great and the project looks like a ton of fun. The title is published by Digitalwebbing and it is written by creator Mike Imboden. So lucky for me I have him with today .

Kh: Hows it going today, Mike ? Everything fine ?

MI: Doing better now that I’ve managed to recover from last weekend’s Baltimore Comic-Con. It was rough going into a show having just gotten over a cold – there are ton of germs flying around at a show and when your immune system is already working overtime it can be hard to stay, or even get, healthy.But, I’m better now and ready to get back into the swing of things!

Kh: First question I want to ask is, how is it too see your thinking and creations drawn so beautifully ?

MI: I’ll tell you, it’s a real cool feeling that never gets old. The best part is when I see a page and the artist has changed something so that it works even better than what I had originally envisioned.

Kh:How did you come up with a idea like FOJ ?

MI: Originally... The first Fist of Justice way back in Digital Webbing Presents was just a “throw-away”, or “done in one” story that had a twist ending, like a Twilight Zone episode. But then people started saying how fun the story was and how cool the character looked. “When are you guys doing more?” was something we heard quite often. Ed Dukeshire and I got together and came up with a way to bring him back that made sense. There was a lot of brainstorming, but it didn’t take long for us to agree on how we wanted to do things.

Kh: For fans of comics that has not read a FOJ book, what is it about ?

MI: The tagline we’ve used sparingly, but are going to start pushing hard, is “Old School, New Attitude” and that sort of sums it all up. The quick synopsis is that Fist was a hero back in the late 1970s. After an encounter with a villain, Fist was out of commission for about 30 years. Now that he’s back, we’ve a guy who’s trying to adjust to a much different world than he remembers. I think the thing that makes us stand out from similar characters is that we’re actually trying to tell stories that wouldn’t seem out of place back in the late 70s or early 80s. No prolonged and drawn-out story arcs, no brooding and moody heroes; everything is a bit more light hearted and... I guess “innocent” is a good way to put it.

Kh: Whats going on in FOJ right now anything big?

MI: Right now we’ve got Fist trying to repair some faults in the time stream that are a result of Professor Mistyk (a powerful magician) looking for Fist during the 30 years that he was missing. This is allowing us to do a variety of stories and sort of frees us up to do whatever we want, while still maintaining a couple running sub-plots to keep everything moving along. Issue #3, which will be out any day, features a team-up with The Living Corpse and we’re working on getting an FoJ/E-Man team-up ironed out.

Kh: Any spoilers you can give?

MI: We’re currently working on getting a big name writer who can do JUSTICE to what we’re doing, to do a guest issue. He’s truly in a LEAGUE of his own. I think that’s the best I can offer up at this point.

Kh: What book would you like to write for?

MI: I really want to work on a horror title or, ideally, a giant monster story. I’m a huge Godzilla fan and love the whole kiaju thing. I loved Cloverfield and JJ Abrams said it best when he was doing promotions for the movie; America needs its own Godzilla. Cloverfield was a very good effort, but I think there’s more to be done there. I’d love to be a part of that, whatever it is.

Kh: Any other books in the works?

MI: I’m always working on stories for my brother from a different mother, Jamal Walton, and his world of “Warmageddon” (www.warmageddon.com). I’ve also got a couple of stories to work on for Ken Haeser and Buz Hasson for their book, “The Living Corpse”. As soon as time permits, I am going to knock out a script for something I’m involved with called “Green Brook”. Shawn Gabborin of Angry Gnome Comics approached me and asked if I’d be interested in participating in a project where a handful of different creative teams given the same (very basic) story premise, then given free reign to take that story wherever they want to go with it (genre, art style, whatever). Of course I said “Yes”. It’s going to be something very fun for the readers to get into, to see how each of the teams take this thing and what they do with it. All of the books will debut at the 2009 Pittsburgh Comic-Con.

Kh: What comic book made you start reading?

MI: Man, that was like 35 years ago! Ha! The one comic that stood out in my mind was an old issue of G.I. Combat that had The Haunted Tank on the cover. I must have read and re-read that comic dozens of times when I was little. I think the ones that had the most impact on me, though, were the old Spider-Man and Luke Cage comics of the early to mid-70s.

Kh: Any shout outs or links you would like to give?

MI: Man, there are at least a dozen people who’ve helped me start climbing this ladder that I’d feel like a total chump if I singled any one of them out in favor of someone else. So I’ll be smart and tell people to go visit www.imboden.org. I’ve got links there that people can follow to everyone who’s deserving of a shout out. Was that diplomatic enough? :)

And thats all the space we have but before we go, Mike. I have a game that TJ May has played and Dj Coffman has as well . Now it your turn. The rules are simple I say a word and you say the first thing that comes to mind . Ready?

Digitalwebbing:Some of the best comics you probably aren’t reading. Yet.

Fist Of justice:THE best comic you aren’t reading. Yet.

Mike Imboden:Dedicated and hopeful.

Superheroes:A comic staple and great escapism.

Stan Lee:A true master and someone I wish I was a fraction as good as.

Khudd:A cool sound effect I need to work into an upcoming issue! :)

You go ahead in get that in a issue, and that is all folks.

No comments: